Thursday, February 9, 2012

NFC Here, NFC There, NFC Everywhere!

It seems as though ever since I replied to the discussion thread (and wrote a blog post) on Near Field Communication (NFC) last week, it's been popping up everywhere. That or I've subconsciously made a point to keep an eye out for those things. Suddenly, they’re popping up in ads of websites I visit and people everywhere are using them.  It’s been two weeks; I’ve encountered the Square and Google Wallet being used on two separate instances. 

First NFC encounter: Over the weekend as I was walking into Michael’s Arts & Crafts (yes, I enjoy browsing through the aisles of craft stores and am interested in taking on knitting, don’t judge me) store when I noticed that the man standing outside the store who was selling flowers to those coming in and out of Michael’s was holding an iPad with a Square attached to it.  I guess he now accepts cash and major credit cards.  That means that I can’t use the excuse “sorry, I don’t have any cash on me” anymore when a stranger standing outside a store approaches me with flowers asking me if I want to buy any.    

Second NFC encounter: I was shopping at Macy's a few days ago when I noticed that there was a reader device attached to the credit card swiping machine and a small sign advertising that they now accept Google Wallet as a form of payment.  I’m assuming that your Google Wallet account would be linked to your Macy’s card as their employees are often seen peer pressuring customers into applying or using their Macy’s card to pay for their purchases, telling them that they really do need another store card and promising that it really is better than what their competitors offer.  I am proud to say that I haven’t given into their peer-pressuring and do not hold a Macy’s store card.

It’s quite convenient, isn’t it?  To be able to charge things to your credit card in places you weren’t able to before (like at a random curbside) or be able to pay for things with a wave of your phone instead of having to whip out your wallet.  The Girl Scouts who sell their cookies outside of grocery stores should take notice of this new technology concept, as it would probably bring up their sales.  I know there have been a handful of times when I’ve been disappointed because I didn’t have enough cash on hand to buy their cookies.  It’s a bad feeling to be perked up at the sight of a Girl Scout cookie booth on your way out of the grocery store only to realize that you’re a few dollars short of scoring yourself a box of those delicious thin mints.  If you’re a Girl Scout reading this, get the Square.

Behold, the Google Wallet reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment