Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Are You a Planner?

Session 8:

While cleaning my room, I found the results to a Myers-Briggs Type Indicator assessment I took several semesters ago.  It indicated that I am an ISTJ.  It’s right on the dot, in my opinion, as the profile of an ISTJ fits mine perfectly.  Finally, an explanation as to why I react and feel the way I do towards a lot of things in life.

As an ISTJ, breaking laws or going against the rules would make me feel uneasy.  This is absolutely true.  I follow rules and avoid breaking any laws, though there has been a handful of moments when I’ve unintentionally broken a few traffic laws. Also, I am a firm believer in karma, committing bad deeds will come back ten times worse!

ISTJs often take things too seriously and have an offbeat type of personality, and so do I.  That would explain why my friends have referred to me as the cemetery of all jokes…where all jokes come to die, which I do not agree with completely.  Believe it or not, but I’m not always a joke-killer.  I am easily amused and can be pretty funny, though it takes me a while to feel comfortable enough to be myself.      

Like the typical ISTJ person, I have always been a methodological person.  I follow closely to the procedures of every task, which made me pretty good with lab work during my days of studying biology.  I’ve found that I perform at highest efficiency when employing a step-by-step approach.    I have never been the type of girl that takes a lot of risks or involve myself in dangerous activities, such as skydiving.  Instead, I am quite fond of the feeling of safety of having my feet planted on solid ground.  I am also a chronic list-maker, and will make them for everything: packing, grocery shopping, to-do list for the day, etc.  I plan out my entire day while brushing my teeth in the morning, mentally listing out all the errands I have to run or things to do for the day.  I try to plan out every step I take in life, so that I am able to make the right choices in order to acheive my goals.   After 29 years of life, I have come to the conclusion that regardless of how hard I fight, life is full of detours.  Like other ISTJs, inconsistencies and plan detours frustrate me, but I’m learning how to deal with them. 

I am an ISTJ and I am a planner. 

This past week, we discussed the value of planning.  Work environments and project plans, like life, are continuously changing, but that does not make planning a useless endeavor.  Business decisions should be made based on initial plans, where routes are pre-determined to unveil options.  To proceed without initial planning is to set a team up for failure, as it will put them at a disadvantage in their decision-making process.  I am a firm believer in thorough planning, as it is the force that will drive a team towards success.

No comments:

Post a Comment